Sunday, September 18, 2011

I am curious at looking at the stereotype that men are funnier than women, or that women aren’t funny at all. I have always loved laughing and making other people around me laugh, so much so that I was voted Class Clown of my high school graduating class. So I find it absolutely ridiculous when I hear someone say that women aren’t funny especially when I think about some of my favorite comedians like Tina Fey, Lucille Ball, and Gilda Radner. Anyone who has seen these ladies in action can surely attest that women ARE funny. Just as funny as any male comedian out there.  

            Humor is a hard thing to measure because it is subjective. Everyone’s sense of humor and what they find funny are unique. However, I plan to investigate how this stereotype that women aren’t funny got started and to analyze the accuracy of this stereotype by reviewing research articles on the subject, making observations in my life and looking at how society may view comedy as a man’s field. I’m curious in finding the answers for questions like: do women have to work harder than men to get noticed in the comedy world? Do male comedians get more respect? Make more money? Why do people think women can’t be just as funny, if not funnier than their male counterparts? 

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler as Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton on Saturday Night Live. 


5 comments:

  1. I love your topic! When I tell some of my friends about a hilarious comedian they should watch, they ask if the comedian is male or female. It shouldn't matter what gender the person is, funny is funny. But they have this belief that female comedians just aren't up to par compared to their male counterparts. Why? Where did this stereotype originate? I'm excited to read what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie- this is such a great topic to chose. I do think that men comedians often get more respect than female comedians. Off the top of my head, I can think of only a few successful female comedians, the rest are all male. I'm curious to see why this stereotype exists. Maybe because humor is a powerful thing and, a long time ago, men didn't want women to be humorous? I'm really interested in hearing the story behind this stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome topic and as I'm writing this my boyfriend is looking over my shoulder and saying that men are "by and large funnier than women, but there are still some very funny women". I think this is a stereotype that is prevalent on a daily basis in our society so it was a smart one to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really interesting topic. I was interested in the public's reception of the movie "Bridesmaids" this summer, since it was a comedy with an all-female cast, something pretty rare in mainstream movies. I have noticed that female comics' sense of humor is often more self-deprecating than men's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loe you topic, and I am very interested to see what you find. I love comedy, and I feel that some of the best are women, but they often are overlooked because they are female. I am excited to follow your blog and to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete